Sunday, October 20, 2013

How I keep my Genasun GV5 safe when backpacking

In this post I will show one aspect of my portable solar solution, namely how I keep my Genasun GV5 safe when backpacking, going portable, going /PM.

I chose the Genasun GV5 since it does NOT discharge my battery at night, has a small form factor and is an MPPT controller:
http://genasun.com/all-products/solar-charge-controllers/for-lead/gv-5-pb-5a-solar-charge-controller/

I have it hooked up to a Powerfilm Solar rollable panel:
http://www.powerfilmsolar.com/products/?rollable_solar_panels&show=category&productCategoryID=6580&productCategoryIDs=6578,6580
since they are waterproof and I happened to land a good deal when I bought it. But even with "standard" prices, they are highly competitive.

This is all connected to a A123 Energy Solutions Nanophosphate 12V battery. I chose it for it's weight, integrated charge controller and for it's cycle life (compare carefully to other Li chemistries, there ARE differences):
http://www.a123energy.com/products-modules-lead-acid.htm?mform=redirect

One thing though: the connections of the Genasun GV-5 to the rest are a little tricky, since it's connections only really lend themselves for a fixed installation. 

Thus, I made myself a little box (out of a sturdy but flexible plastic food container) with bananaplug sockets (I prefer them over Anderson Powerpoles, but that's another story and one man's meat is another man;s poison...), so I keep the GV5 somewhat protected in the box and have fast connect/ disconnect to panel and battery. 

73 de Marcus NX5MK








1 comment:

  1. Solor Charge Controllerwhich automatically control the charging according to the battery conditions. It’s very competent in controlling high-frequency electric pulses while it’s ideal for 12V batteries. The controller turns off the switch when the charging level exceeds a certain limit.

    ReplyDelete